The Ferret Rescue
Society of Ottawa and Area (FRSO) became a registered Ontario Not
For Profit Corporation in January of 2002 and a Federal Registered
Charity in January 2007. We do not receive any government grants
and rely solely on donations and money gathered from membership
dues, adoptions, product sales and fundraising events.
We are the only animal rescue group in the Ottawa area that aids ferrets in need. Ferrets that are brought to the Humane Society are transferred to us for special care. Ferrets are rehabilitated and given any medical attention they require. All ferrets who are healthy enough are adopted out into carefully screened new families. Unfortunately, some ferrets that arrive at the shelter are no longer compatible in regular family environments. These ferrets will become long-term residents of the society and will be placed in special foster homes. We have a no kill policy. The only exception is if it is medically impossible to treat or heal a ferret that is suffering.
- To take care of unwanted, abandoned and abused ferrets;
- To rehabilitate ferrets and give them the medical attention they require;
- To find suitable homes for all ferrets who are healthy enough to be adopted into new families;
- To provide a safe and healthy environment for the ferrets whose lives are no longer meant to be in a family environment. These ferrets will become long-term residents of the shelter, or will go to special homes.
- We, the members of the shelter, believe that all ferrets deserve fair treatment and the best quality of life possible.
- No ferret should be killed due to human negligence or irresponsibility. Any act of cruelty towards any animal is unacceptable.
- All ferrets deserve to receive the best medical attention available to them as required.
- We believe in having a NO-KILL policy. The only exception would be if it were medically impossible to treat or heal a ferret that is suffering.